Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Exhaustion and a bit of why.

I get tired. Really tired. Add in the fact that I am, by nature, a lazy person, and you would not be surprised to see me sleeping most of the time. I work very hard and outside most of the time. My job requires that I am ready to do trig in the worst places. I work out trigonometric and geometric problems after hiking a mile with fifty pounds of equipment on my back. In ninety degree heat. With snakes and spiders aplenty. So I laid about as much as I could.
Then my Dad got cancer in his pancreas and I was developing emphysema from smoking. Add in the fact that we had just had to send my mother to live with my older brother due to her Alzheimer's and it just was a bit hard on me. I began to question if I would live as long as my folks, and what horrors would arise. Not to mention I slept to avoid as much as I could. It just wasn't getting any better. I watched my mother ,rather than fight her disease and try to be with her family, fill out mail-in sweepstakes after sweepstakes. She still tries to do them, but she no longer has a checking account to send them money. My father had a major surgery and months of chemotherapy. Now he sits on his couch and bemoans having nothing he can do because he's too weak. And through all this, my job went away because of incompetent supervisors,and a general lack of interest in keeping employees. We are always the first thing to be shrunk and cut to make budgets at that company.
So as all this was happening my son was growing from a baby to a boy. I love to play with him, but he was running me into the ground. I was too old and tired. So I chose to be different. I started the Couch to Five-K Program. After nine weeks, I was running 3.1 miles in just around twenty-seven minutes. I did this wearing Vibram FiveFingers, and I really enjoyed it. But when I was done training, I got tired again. I watched my Dad wasting away. I watched my Mom get more and more crazy. So I set a goal for myself, I would complete triathlon training and I might enter an Olympic distance triathlon. All this, so I can enjoy hearing my son call me Papa for the next seventy-four years.

No comments: